Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Because stupidity makes everyone sad

Gems from yesterday:

"A lot more people live in Latin America than Europe." - Kara's professor

Europe's population: 727,000,000
Latin America's population (including Mexico): 520,000,000

"Didn't women get the right to vote with [the Civil Rights Act of 1964]?" - Student in the same class.

I'm going to go crawl into a hole a die now. Okay?

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At October 03, 2007 7:27 PM, Blogger Sara Ann Swenson said...

That's okay. Here is an example of professional writing from one of my English classes.

"...he is at first arrogant in his blowing off of the old man."


Keep in mind. This is an academic essay.

 
At October 08, 2007 11:05 AM, Blogger Sara Ann said...

On a scale of 1 to 10, what is your opinion of the U of M and would you go somewhere else if you could back track to last April? Why or why not?

Just a general question.

 
At October 08, 2007 3:05 PM, Blogger Kara said...

Hmm... I'd probably give the U a 7.5. I enjoy myself most of the time, and I think that a good majority of the professors do care, and I really love everyone that I live with on my floor. Eighth floor CLA Honors makes this a lot easier than I thought it would be.

The going somewhere else question is a tough one. I want to be a geography major, but would I love to be having this experience somewhere else? (Say Columbia) Yes, I would love to be studying the subject I love in the college and city I loved the most out of all of them. Since Columbia doesn't have a geography program, it's pretty much a moot point.

I want the city size I'm in and there really wasn't anywhere else other than say Berkley where I could have what I want.

In retrospect, I should have applied to Berkley. I probably would have gotten in, and I would have the major I wanted in another city I really loved, San Francisco, but I do like being close to home a lot more than I thought I would. Plus, I wouldn't be able to see everyone I miss very often. I've gone home and seen the people I miss the most both times; that's pretty cool. :)

 
At October 08, 2007 10:35 PM, Blogger Shelty said...

A great quote to enliven your day from my FYSEM today:

"Do you think other cultures at that time had ideas...?"

 
At October 09, 2007 3:07 PM, Blogger Sara Ann said...

Thanks dear!
I'm just playing with some ideas... yeah, in retrospect, there are a lot of things I wish I would have done differently last year, but there's not too much I can do about them now. School's good. Profs are nice.
Here's another quick question... how challenged do you feel by your classes? Sorry I didn't think to ask it up with the rest of them.

And in response to Michelle:
Someone in one of my classes today suggested that Thomas More was heavily influenced by Martin Luther and Karl Marx when writing "UTOPIA". I knew he was a man with much foresight, but I didn't know he had THAT much foresight!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home